In anticipation of the fast-approaching 2012 Synod of the Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church, at which once again this year issues concern the denominations College and Seminary will be the subject of much discussion and debate, Erskine Board Chairman has sent out an open letter to all ministers and elders in the denomination
In addition to his comments, he has provided links to the more detailed answers provided by the Board to questions which the 2011 Synod voted to ask Erskine to provide answers. Also read a Minority Report written by 11 members of the Erskine Board and released on Thursday, May 4.
Dear Ministers and Elders,
May 1st, 2012
Prior to the June 2012 meeting of the General Synod, I wanted to follow up regarding my previous note. Earlier I had communicated the Erskine Board of Trustees’ response to the 2011 Synod motions regarding the removal of trustees from the Erskine Board.
David Conner has given a presentation on these motions to the Board of Trustees (at its February 2012 meeting) and to various other groups since that time, including the Executive Board of General Synod. The presentation contains some of the numerous materials that are cited in the Board’s response to General Synod. The requirements of the accrediting agencies were more stringent than many of us anticipated and the materials demonstrate the constraints which shaped the Board’s decision.
In the interest of transparency, I have included materials in the presentation that explain the Board’s position. These materials have proven very helpful for increased understanding of the Board’s response. Thus, I wanted to share them with each of you and with all of those attending Synod 2012. My hope is that you will be able to better understand the extensive documentation that was studied by the ad hoc committee in the preparation of its report that was adopted by the Board.
Here is a link to a website that will take you to the supporting materials:
Thank you for your time and effort to understand these important issues that we believe will allow for greater understanding and mutual support of the very important relationship between the ARP Church and Erskine.
Chair, Erskine Board of Trustees
- Erskine_Bylaws-signed May 20 2011
- EC — 1850 & 1872 Charter documents
- EC — 1973 Charter Amendment
- EC — 1977 Charter Amendment and Restatement
- EC — 1980 Charter Amendment
- ARPC — General Synod Minutes 1972
- ARPC — General Synod Minutes 1978
- EC — Statement of Trustee Responsibilities 1986
- EC — Trustee Profile 1990
- ARPC — Statement of Philosophy of Christian Higher Education 1977 & 78
- ARPC — Report of Special Committee 1977
- SACS — Principles of Accreditation 2010
- ATS Standards of Accreditation
- ATS 184.108.40.206
- Director, Accreditation and Institutional Evaluation (ATS) 12-21-11 e-mail[Editor’s note: Original URLs (links) referenced in this article are no longer valid, so the links have been removed.]